From:
"Church, Robert Ray (UMC-Student)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jun 2003 17:12:07 -0500
As an ex-newspaper photojournalist, I can say the types of mistakes seen
in these ferret articles are common.  They are common because reporters
are reporters, not people working in a specific subject; I doubt if many
reporters are experts in domestication.  Mistakes of all types are
common, and the best you can hope for is a retraction, which is rarely
given.

From *MY* experience, the best way to combat such mistakes is to
TELEPHONE AND WRITE the paper's managing editor, the editor in charge
of the section in which the article was published, AND the newspaper's
ombudsman, and ignore the reporter.  Reporters getting letters or emails,
unless they are also forwarded to the three people mentioned above, may
or may not do a thing.  The managing editor, section editor, and
ombudsman have the most power to make changes and WILL do so if they
think the reputation of the paper in is question.  The bottom line is
that reporters, even if emailed the facts, have no obligation to do
anything to fix the situation.  And why should they admit they made a
mistake and possibly place themselves in jeopardy?

I can tell you, those times *I* made mistakes, the most effective way to
get me to fix things was to call me, write a letter to the editor, and
call my bosses.  THOSE actions could not be ignored, and I was on the
ball to make things right.  I recommend if a paper runs a ferret story
with mistakes, pick up the phone and make a pest of yourself.  THAT works
when letters and emails fail.

Bob C