From:
Leonard Bottleman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jul 2000 07:58:17 -0700
There appears to be a a great deal of variation on insurance coverage of
homes with ferret shelters, or even just pet ferrets, on not only a company
by company basis, but also on a region by region basis within the same
company.

I've had State Farm Insurance since 1982, and when word went out in the mid
90's that a State Farm underwriter was canceling policies of homeowners
with pet ferrets, I called my agent and asked him about it, and he assured
me there was no problem with my coverage.  Later, when our house became the
Cascade Ferret Network central facility, I informed our State Farm agent
and again he had no problem with a shelter in our house, and even suggested
increasing our liability coverage.

I have shopped around for another insurance company, just out of curiosity
about rates, and found that The Hartford would cover our house with extra
liability for the shelter too.

My guess is that different insurance underwriters react differently to
ferrets, and you need to shop around to find a company with a ferret
knowledgeable underwriter in your region.

Leonard Bottleman                       [log in to unmask]
http://www.cascade-ferret.org           http://www.teleport.com/~leonard