Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 23:56:03 +0000
In reading Mr. Killian's response to Ms. Iroff:
>While ferrets are not being slaughtered in the large numbers that dogs
>and cats are, they are undeniably being killed because they have no homes.
>Where?  I have NEVER heard of a case.  Some non ferret-specific shelters
>put down ALL animals that are not dogs or cats but that is not because of
>ferret over-population but rather because of dog and cat over population.
>These shelters are so over whelmed by the numbers of their two primary
>charges that all others get really unfortunate treatment.

I could not help but remember two circumstances by which I obtained 4
ferrets from the local Humane Society.  As I am on a list to adopt
unadoptables, I received the first call that resulted in the adoption of a
beautiful sable male and his buddy, an equally beautiful silver mitt that
looked very close to a DEW.  As overjoyed as I was and seemingly distracted
by their beauty, my eyes caught fully the words "Permission to Euthanise"
on the attached adoption cards.  I was immediately shocked and yet relieved
that I had somehow managed to save the lives of two wonderful one-year old
boys.  I asked no questions as all I could think about was getting out of
there with my treasure as fast as my legs could take me.  The second time
that I got "the call" it was to adopt a beautiful female and a beautiful
male sable, again about a year old a piece.  Once again I caught fully the
words, "Permission to Euthanise" on the attached adoption cards.  I could
no longer hold my tongue, so I asked why the cards were marked that way.
The response: if they couldn't find a home for them they would be put to
sleep.  I asked further ... but why if there was obviously room to house
them at the shelter, could they not just keep them a little while longer to
give them a better chance to be adopted.  The answer: like the ferrets
before them, the desire to have them as a household pet had left with the
fad of having unusual pets.  There just wasn't the interest in adopting
them like there were in the years prior.  The shelter had noticed that more
and more were coming in but the potential adopters were few and far
between.

My adoptions took place within the last four years... as I have not adopted
a ferret from this facility in over a year, I doubt very much that anything
has changed.  But then, change is always a possibility.  I believe, Mr.
Killian, that Ms. Iroff was talking about circumstances similar to the one
I personally experienced.  And although I agree with part of what you say
in regards to shelters having to make room, it also shows me that, as
intelligent and as forthright as you are, that you are not omniscient.
There are far too many places for any one individual to acquire knowledge
about all of them and I do mean all - shanty to palace.  You are passionate
in your beliefs and I greatly admire that, but you cannot be everywhere at
all times.  I am only one person with an experience such as this.  I am
sure that there are others given the odds and relationship of numbers of
ferrets to humans.  I would only hope that you can concede that this is a
possibility.

All the statistics and and all your powers of debate and subsequent
research along with your blanket statements will not save the life of those
who are euthanised for other reasons.  Not only is that the bottom line -
it is the most important line.

Betty and Her Blur O'Fur

To my ferts: Thank you from the bottom of my heart that fate brought us
together.  My feet will never be the same.