From:
"Bruce Williams, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2000 21:22:24 -0400
>I don't know if this kind of thing with a domesticated pet violates any
>humane laws but I find it extremely disturbing.  Would eBay allow this
>with other domesticated pets?  I wrote them about the auction and was told
>it didn't violate their policies.  Well, it should and I hope you drop
>them a polite but firm message about it.

Yecch!

I am pretty sure this type of activity (cadaver sales) does not violate
humane laws, but it certainly is on shaky ethical grounds (especially as
this person says it was a pet!)  A fair amount of people do have their
own pets freeze-dried or mounted, but I don't recall anyone ever selling
one.....Do remember, however, that all that is being sold is decaying
carbon-based matter - that which made this ferret a special being has
fortunately finally escaped from its bottom-feeding owner.

That said, it does represent a good example of adrenal-related hair loss -
I wonder if the fact that a lot of the coat is missing would be of any
interest to a potential buyer.....

I think the bottom line here is that it is obvious based on a review of
this person's other items for sale (largely weapons and skins), that
arguments on ethical grounds will not sway him, but only serves to entrench
him (based on his revised information).  I would hate to think that he may
take his frustration out on any other ferrets in his care......

Sometimes the best thing to do is not to dignify it.

Bruce Williams, DVM