From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Feb 1998 00:20:13 -0500
I am from Indiana and the town I live in has an animal shelter that takes
the usual dogs and cats along with rabbits and guinie pigs, but I have been
told by the manager of the shelter that they will not adopt out ferrets and
if anyone briings one in they will automatically destroy it without even
thinking about finding it a home.

Can they legally do this?  I won't be surprised if the answer is yes.

What can I do to stop this?  How do I let people know not to take unwanted
ferrets to the shelter?

This situation angers me beyond any expression.  It is an outrage that
people who are suppose to be there to help and protect the animals are their
worst enemy.  This makes me so upset and angry I can not even begin to
clearly voice my outrage.

Why does my local animal shelter turn away ferrets?  If I am not mistaken I
believe she said it is because the rabies vaccine is not proven to be
effective in ferrets therefor they could still have the rabies virus even
though they were vacinated for it.

I believe the vacine IS effective in ferrets because I have read several
articles declaring through many tests that the rabies vacine is effective
in ferrets.

My oppion is to many people are ignorant and refuse to learn the truths and
facts about ferrets

Melinda