From:
North Coast Ferret Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Dec 1996 08:53:47 -0800
I posted about this incident a year or so ago, but since the subject has
come up again I thought I'd repost my experience about choking ferrets.
This is the only time I have had a ferret choke this severely, usually they
clear the obstruction themselves after a few seconds of coughing.

My then 1-1/2 yr. old carpet shark Trouble was munching his food when
suddenly he started choking.( Apparently he hasn't learned you can't breath
and swallow simultaneously.) His gasping lasted for about 30 seconds then
abruptly ceased.  As I watched horrified he rolled over and started
frantically clawing at his mouth and throat.  After about 1 minute of this
he went limp.

I only live 5 minutes from my vets office but I knew that it was hopeless
for a ferret who was obviously choking to death and having had numerous
courses in CPR at this point my instincts took over.

I grabbed him and tried to gently blow air into his lungs to verify that it
was obstructed.  (which it was).  I opened his mouth to see if I could
remove the blockage manually.  I did see something way down his throat but
had no way to reach it or remove it and was afraid if I tried to push it
down his throat I would cause more harm than good.  Then I held him upside
down by his back feet and tail and thumped him on the back several times to
no avail.  Everything I knew told me that I had to do a Heimlich on him.
BUT HOW DO YOU HEIMLICH A FERRET ?

I grasp him by the scruff of the neck and cradled him in the crook of my
left arm with his head turned to the side.

With my right hand I located his breastbone I made a fist with my thumb
extended and placed my thumb approx.  2" below his breastbone (by using a
closed fist and only applying my thumb I was ensured that I would not
squeeze him) and thrust upward toward the diaphragm.  I did this 5 or 6
times with increasing pressure and finally out popped a piece of whole dry
food.  BTW it was Iams kitten food.

He immediately took a deep breath and regained consciousness in about 1
minute.  He was then quickly rushed to the animal clinic and examined and
given a clean bill of health.  We did put him on antibiotics for 7 days just
in case he aspirated a small piece of food.

I realize that this procedure could have resulted in severe internal
injuries but the alternative was definitely a dead ferret.

--
Bev Fox
North Coast Ferret Shelter