From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jun 1996 16:25:47 CST6CDT
Three weeks ago in Wichita a 4 month old baby pet ferret was killed and
tested for rabies after it scratched a neighbor.  The results were negative
as they have been on all 192 ferrets tested in Kansas except for one in
1982.

I contacted animal control (316) 268-8473 and spoke to the officer.
(Wichita Animal Control, 1900 East 9th, Wichita, KS 67214) He said he is
just following state statute regulations.  "Any wild animal known in the
transmission of rabies that bites a human must be sacrificed....." The key
here is transmission.  There has never been a transmission of rabies from a
ferret to a human or any other animal.  Ferrets are classified in Kansas as
exotic wildlife because they are not indigenous to the state.  WELL, neither
are dogs and cats so I guess we have to start killing all dogs and cats that
bite too.  BUT those people wouldn't stand for it (no offense I'm one of
those people too).

I tried to explain ferrets are not wild, he said they were wild, and I asked
for the city of Wichitas definition of wild which he read to me which states
any animal not indiginous to Kansas and ferally known... I then explained
ferrets are not known to be feral anywhere in the US which only got a
response that he was following regulations.  In asking who to speak with on
the regulations he stated a commissioner.  I again explained who I was and
that I wasn't local and he ended the conversation with I was wasting our
time talking to him because he only follows regulations (but couldn't tell
me who else to talk to beside a senator).  I didn't have the opportunity to
tell him about the rabies regulation for animals that are not known to
transfer the virus.  I tried to call again and the line is busy busy busy...

So I called the health dept and they transfered me several times till I
reached the Section Leader over Animal Control Office.  Roger Smith.  He was
out but I left my name and number and explained the situation.

If it is up to animal control any ferret that bites will be killed and
tested for doing know more than a puppy, kitten, or human baby would.  All
baby animals must be taught not to bite.

There has never been a transmission of rabies from a ferret to a human or
other animal, therefore, ferrets should not be considered in the regulation
this officer sited.

Please contact this "gentleman" and set him straight.  I'll post more
addresses as I get them but he is the one to target at this point.

Hugs to all.  tle