From:
"Donahue, Suzanna C." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 09:20:44 -0500
Hi all.

I am at a loss.  As some may remember, Zinc has been diagnosed with IBD.
At first I wasn't all that concerned about it.  She only had it during
her times out to play and had normal stools while caged and resting.  We
decided to follow our vet's advice, and give pediapred a try.  We gave her
0.3 ml twice daily for 3 weeks.  She was unaffected by it.  Her condition
did not improve at all.  We had been keeping a sharp eye on her weight and
noticed that she was slowly losing some.  Called the doc, and he decided
that we should give Imuran a try along with the pred.  He told us to give
her the mushed up kibble we had given her before to help her gain the
weight back.  (He wanted us to give the drugs a try before changing to a
bland diet as tooth problems may occur).  He did say that it will take a
few weeks for Imuran to work.  So, we must be patient.  But my patience
is beginning to wane.

We've only just begun the protocol of 0.3 ml of pediapred once daily and
0.1 ml of Imuran every third day.  Unfortunately, Zinc is getting worse.
Last night I heard her having diarrhea throughout the night.  I can tell
because there's usually a lot of gas along with it.  Now, I could be
mistaken, I was half asleep, but my husband heard it too.  Plus, he
witnessed it in the morning.  So, she's getting worse instead of better.

She doesn't seem outwardly adversely affected by it.  She acts and plays
normally, but it's disturbing to me.  So, today after work we tried using
Immodium (0.5 ml) to control the diarrhea, but again, no effect.  I'm
beginning to be at my wits end.  I know I need to be patient and give the
Imuran a chance, but I hate seeing her this way.  I've decided to start
feeding her chicken baby food.  She really doesn't like it much, but I just
don't know what else to do.  I worry that she'll get lymphoma the longer
this continues... (I have to wonder if all of this is a result of adding
Riki to our family.  Zinc was so depressed about it for a long time.)

I'm going to try to make Duck Soup this weekend, but I don't even know
anything about making this stuff.  I'm not a cook -- we make easy dinners
in our household.  I don't own a meat grinder.  I have to ask strangers at
the grocery store about what meat to buy.  I don't even know how to make a
whole chicken.  I don't know where one gets extra fat pieces.  Do I want
chicken fat or beef fat?  Can I get it at the grocery store?  If you all
have any answers to this, please email me privately as I only have access
to email on weekdays.

Just to leave things on a lighter note: Pixie and Riki are doing just fine.
We've gotten our annual holiday picture of most of the family (me, hubby,
and ferrets).  Somehow, I'll have to get Miss.  Turt in there one year...

Suzanna
Zinc, Pixie, Riki