From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 May 1999 09:56:42 -0400
In the 11 & 1/3 years of the FML there have been something approaching
maybe 10 or so reports of ferrets having their heads stuck in toilet paper
or paper towel rolls and running with them.  The ferrets were described
as being very uncomfortable.  In a handful of cases the ferrets ran into
something and snapped their necks, dying as a result.  Note that these were
empty or nearly empty tubes which had not been torn since a torn one can be
removed and is not stiff, a ferret could not run with a full one on, and
very likely the weight of a full roll would help a ferret extract its head.
(We still sometimes let the ferrets tear up a roll of paper if there's
major frustration about something, but we do supervise -- just as we do for
plastic bags which have also had some mishaps of a similar degree.) It's
not a danger on the level of a recliner, but it is something calling for
logical and calm care.