From:
April Armstrong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 12:21:04 -0400
Hi.  I just wanted to say that in my dealings with SOS, I have found
them very kind, dedicated folks benefiting ferts and helping them in a
way I could not do myself.  They often give something in return for our
donations-I have some wonderful soap, bumper stickers, etc., the boys have
a beautiful afhgan that they love and a new hammy-and they do all they do
without persopnal compensation.  I think they are great, and I wish I
could do more to help their efforts.

Once I'm settled into this house a little more and have some more weddings
plans made, I plan on devoting soem time to making some things to donate
to sell; I would hope that any of you out there on the FML that have
talents such as crafting or baking might do the same.  It's a pretty easy
way to contribute even if you have limited resources.

Many stores will donate supplies to you if you go to a manager and explain
that you are doing something for charity-my local grocery stores donate
food every year-Stop & Shop and Star Market/Shaw's give me $50 gift
certificates to shop with every year-to a trip I go on to KY in Appalachia
each year to refurbish himes for the rural poor.  Lots of stores like
Walmart specifically set aside money every month in their budgets for
charity groups-you just have to ask about it.  If you told a craft supply
store you were, say, making things for a shelter or charity, they may
surprise you and donate lots of things-yarn for afghans :), soap, wax,
clearance craft items, etc.  They may say "no", but it can't hurt to ask,
and they can't say "yes" if you don't!  They may at least give you a
discount.

Think about it!

-April