From:
colburns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 2006 17:49:00 -0400
Dear Ferret Folks-

Went to PETCO yesterday in Shrewsbury, MA, across from Michaels and the
IHOP.  (Don't start, it makes my tiny nephew SO happy just to go in and
look for fifteen minutes, and it's in the same plaza as the Trader Joes
that gives toddlers FREE BALLOONS!)

We were in the process of leaving (I didn't ask to see the kits because
I had my dog on a leash) when my sister came up to me and asked "What is
it that makes a ferret drag its back legs uselessly?" Well, I handed my
sister her kid and my dog, said " I'll be back...." and bee-lined it to
the kit enclosure.

I found the tall, smart kid who works at the store.  I made him open
the enclosure, (politely) and I handled each and every kit.(Five?) They
all have full mobility.  It's not that one can't walk, it's that one is
terribly uncomfortable, and has a problem that needs attention.  His
back end *works,* but he is dragging it deliberately.  The kit is a dark,
smoky male with lower canines erupted, but not uppers.  He has wet kibble
slurry available, as well as small sized kibble, whole.  (I have always
found this store good that way, the enclosures clean, too.)

Flip the kit over, there is dried, crusted dookie on the underside of
his tail.  Not huge amounts, but it's thick.  There is a dried, dark
plug of it *in* his anus, stuck there, lodged, somewhat dilating the
anus.  The anus looks irritated to me, larger and pinker than normal.
when I touched the little guy's belly, I could *easily* feel that there
was a hardness that did not belong.  Imagine drawing a straight line
between anus and penis.  At least an inch of that length starting at
the anus and trending toward the penis is hard, and rod shaped, like
a pencil or a (swollen rectum?) I'm guessing it's very uncomfortable,
hence the dragging of the underside that made my sister think the little
guy's back legs didn't work.

I showed the tall, smart kid who works there (who is white, and in
his mid twenties, sandy hair) the problem, and explained why it was a
problem.  I made him stick out a finger, and I guided it so that it
touched the hard rod shaped place in the kit's belly.  THAT impressed
him!  I told him that the kit needed medical attention.  Needed to be
cleaned up.  Needed to be put aside and watched.  I explained how *fast*
these little guys crashed, and dropped dead on you.  I blathered my
credentials (which sound cool if you don't know better) and stressed the
kit's need for a vet.

The kid looked serious, and shook up.

But you never know.

He swears that monday is vet day, and he will see that this is brought
to the vet's attention.  Does anybody 1) Know what is wrong with this
poor kit (who wanted to play), and 2) does anyone know anything about
this store?

Alexandra in MA