From:
Kim Schilling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2000 14:39:13 EST
>Subj:    Re: Phoenix stuff
>Bill Hoffman just called me tonight about an Illinois Animal Owners
>Association that has started up to protect the people in our industry...The
>first meeting is at Lee Watson's house on March 30 (a thursday night) at
>7:30.  I will get detailed directions and more info.  Spread the word!
>Samantha

Attention Illinois residents: As many of you are aware, USDA has published
Misc. Pub. 1560 (http://www.aphis.usda.gov/ac/position.pdf) which will
eventually seriously threaten EVERYONE's rights to keep exotic animals.
Some of the issues people have raised are valid.  Please read the
publication while keeping these things in mind: USDA has no jurisdiction
over pet ownership, only enforcing the AWA, yet they published this
position which gives AR people ammunition to push for outlawing certain
animals.  When some of us asked USDA to put together and publish a manual
on husbandry requirements for big cats, we were told they didn't have money
for that.  Yet, they took my tax money and my license fees to publish
something that works against what I and many others do.  I run a sanctuary
for exotic animals.  But it's not just sanctuaries and shelters at risk.
It's every kepper of exotics.  What they're saying silently is that they're
too incompetent to do their jobs of enforcing the AWA and licensing people.
At the moment it targets big cats.  However, it will eventually trickle
down to the smaller critters, some that aren't even considered exotics.....
maybe ferrets, for example.  The extreme AR groups believe in the
philosophy "better off dead, than in a cage".  This includes zoos as
possible targets.  Also keep in mind that NO ONE on our crusade advocates
the general public run out and get big cats (or ANY exotic) as pets,
without being properly trained and experienced.  That's not the point.
The point is that this is the beginning of our rights being taken away.
Passing blanket laws and ordinances WILL NOT stop the irresponsible or
unlawful people from getting whatever animal they want.  They do so
regardless of laws.  USDA licensed individuals are already required to
adhere to strict regulations.  Now they're threatening to make USDA
licenses basically obsolete.  And anyone who wishes to get proper training
and experience will be unable to do so in the future.  There are many
issues at hand.  I will be more than willing to share additional
information to anyone who wants it.

There are several organizations forming to help pet owners join together
to fight for our rights and RESPONSIBLE and REALISTIC laws on exotic pet
ownership.  I've just been informed that Illinois has a newly forming
goup.  It needs support.  I don't know too much more on this, but will be
attending a meeting in Streamwood, IL on March 30th.  Anyone who is serious
about their right to keep exotic animals and push for responsible laws may
be invited to attend.  AR people are not welcome at this time.  Our group
and others like it are for animal WELFARE, as we've always been.  Our goal
is to weed out the irresponsible and unsafe keepers, while maintaining our
own rights.  If you're intersted in being a part of this movement, e-mail
me personally ([log in to unmask]) or Samantha ([log in to unmask]).  Please
keep in mind the BIG picture being presented, not just this little piece!!
Nasty e-mails are unwelcome and will not be responded to.  Remember, I see
firsthand the results of ignorant people who abuse and neglect animals of
all types.  We will not protect them.  We will protect those who keep their
animals safe and healthy!  And there are more exotics being kept in
wonderful environments than there are those being treated poorly.  You just
don't hear about the good stuff!!  It makes for boring news.  Thanks for
passing on this message.

Kim Schilling
http://www.animalsforawareness.org
Animals for Awareness a USDA, no-kill, 501(C)(3) sanctuary
Dedicated to the rescue of exotic animals

PS. Apparently Servals as well as many other exotic cats were almost banned
in IL (As well as Primates and Reptiles)  a couple weeks ago, but a group
got wind of it and went to Springfield, and got it stopped!  An official
group is now being formed.