From:
ERIKA MATULICH <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 1995 12:40:04 -0500
COLLARS & BELLS: I have found collars and bells to be invaluable safety
devices, even though the ferrets frequently "lose" them.  (Gizmo used to
bury hers in the potted plants - I just thought she was digging for fun
until I repotted one and found 8 collars in various stages of decay).  I
have had two ferrets returned to me because they were wearing collars, and I
avoid stepping on them in the house by hearing their bells.  When I have
baby ferrets in the house, the cheapest and easiest collar is to get some
1/4" dressmakers elastic and tie it around their necks.  If it gets hooked
on something, it stretches and comes off.  If the ferret loses the collar,
just snip off another one off your yardage!  Cheap and easy, and quick to
replace when the ferret grows larger.  It is also lighter weight and more
comfortable than kitten collars.  Note that over time these collars lose
their elasticity (as do kitten collars) and must be replaced.

I sew or tie a bell to these collars.  My favorite bell is the small
"cow-bell" style bell, sold in petstores for cats.  Because this bell has an
open end and clapper (rather than the spherical bell with a slot cut in it
and a rattle device that can get lost), the cowbell is safer because
toenails cannot get snagged in the slot.  By removing the ring that is sold
with the bell and attaching the bell directly to the collar, the bell does
not drag on the ground or get into food/water.  Finally, without the ring,
ferret feet cannot get caught, or the ring cannot snag on cloth.

SCREAMING: Bobbin was once wandering on my back porch, and a malamute dog
rushed up from nowhere and scooped her up in his mouth.  Bobbin let out a
death shriek so loud that my boyfriend heard it a block a way at a
neighbors.  The dog dropped the ferret in surprise and I made a quick
rescue.  Misty (who is deaf) doesnot hear when people walk up behind her and
she will also screech when surprised.

TX SHELTERS: I have not been able to locate a ferret shelter on the STAR
list in the Dallas Fort Worth area.  I know there is a ferret club in
Bedford or Burleson (recent article in the Fort Worth Star Telegram featured
them) but I have not been able to get any information.  Is anyone out there?
I am willing to foster, adopt, petsit, etc.

Erika (and Misty, Sasha, and Lizzie)