Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 29 Sep 1992 07:35:33 -0400
>I at least want to teach Trella `No!' (Big one! :-) ) and `come'.

In my experience, you can teach them specific "No!":s quite easy,
if you are very insistent, and never let them do as they'd like.
It took only a few days to teach my new ones not to try to go out
through the door. I had to pinch them in the neck the first few
times, but after that it sufficed to yell at them, and now it's
enough just to tell them to stay inside.

My first ferret always came when I called for her, but then she
was an only ferret, and kept close to me most of the time we were
both at home. The pair I've got now keep more to themselves,
which I think is a good thing. (Ishtar always slept in my bed, but
during the days she was to lonesome, unfortunately she died before
I got her company.) They will come if they think something fun will
happen.

>Are there any special hints for ferrets -- are they stubborn like cats,
>trainable like dogs, or somewhere in the middle?

They are like elephants: They will definitely test you, to see if
you really are the boss.

>What food, etc., can I use as incentive without making her ill
>-- I haven't experimented with any fruits yet -- would that be okay?

Raisins is a favourite. Most ferrets I know like banana (but not
Alison) but not all of them eat as little as Natasha does, so you
shoudn't give them as much as they'd like.
--
 Urban Fredriksson   [log in to unmask]
 "In order to make someone a nervous wreck, apologize while they still