From:
Ronnie DiComo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 17:13:16 EDT
Jaime posted about this website in yesterday's fml; if you missed it, I
hope you have a chance to look at it today:
http://www.thepetcenter.com/imtop/annie.html

It's from a dog to her family, thanking them for letting her go when it was
her time.  This page also has a link to a very helpful page on what's
involved in euthanasia, written by a vet:
http://www.thepetcenter.com/imtop/euthanasia.htm

The Ferret Assoc. of CT (FACT) website also has an article on letting go:
http://www.ferret-fact.org/
go to "informational brochures"
then "Letting go"

I have spent my life taking in animals who needed homes--mostly cats, more
recently ferrets (with a couple of dogs for good measure).  I am not a
shelter, but like anyone who takes in strays, I have have had to say
goodbye to more animals than the average person.

It's never easy, no matter how many times I've done it.  In the beginning I
would do everything posible to keep an animal alive, or hope they would die
in their sleep.  Unfortunately, they often don't.  There have been several
animals I wish I had let go sooner; I don't ever remember one who I felt I
had put to sleep too early.

Most people have a sense of when it's time to let go, but it's always very
difficult to make that decision.  Even though I have a very strong belief
that animals are spiritual beings and go on living after their body has
died, I still find it difficult to let them go when it's time.  However, I
do believe it's the final loving act you can do for your non-human friend,
if they need your help.  I hope the information in the websites listed
above will help when you need to make that decision.

Here is a poem I came across several years ago; someone asked me for it
today, so I will repost it:

May I Go?
(by Susan A. Jackson)

May I go now?

Do you think the time is right?

May I say goodbye to pain filled days and endless lonely nights?

I've lived my life and done my best, an example tried to be.

So can I take that step beyond

and set my spirit free?

I didn't want to go at first,

I fought with all my might.

But something seems to draw me now

to a warm and living light.

I want to go

I really do.

It's difficult to stay.

But I will try as best I can

to live just one more day.

To give you time to care for me

and share your love and fears.

I know you're sad and afraid,

because I see your tears.

I'll not be far,

I promise you that, and hope you'll always know that my spirit will be

close to you

wherever you may go.

Thank you so for loving me.

You know I love you too,