From:
Denise L Voskuil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jul 1995 06:42:42 -0700
Re. the trip to the USVI -

Well, the United States Virgin Islands aren't _really_ out of the US, though
you do have to deal with customs.  I was in St. Thomas USVI for a week last
month, and I highly recommend leaving Chloe home.  It was in the mid '90s
there, with serious humidity (but quite a nice sea breeze).  The cargo hold
will simply broil inside, and if you take a turboprop for any distance (we
took one from San Juan to St. Thomas), they probably won't be air
conditioned.  Taxis and rental cars don't always have working a.c. either.

The other thing is, there are mongoose on the islands (didn't see any
though, darn it!).  The last thing you need is to be stopped in customs by
an unknowing official who thinks that you're trying to bring one home.
(Trust me, you never have as much transfer time as the tickets say you do...)

Have fun,
Denise (plus Rocko, Randall, and Spunky)

P.S.: At least it was easy getting through immigration - we flashed our
driver's licenses.  I've been inspected more closely trying to get into
clubs! :)  Bring that original copy of your birth certificate, though, just
in case...
--
/\\    ____  ,^-o, Denise Voskuil - [log in to unmask]
  ``-,'    `-';~~     Brain: "Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"