From:
Al Wiebe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 19:19:56 EDT
Periodically mention is made in the List of the effects of light on adrenal
glands.  Some contributors say light should be kept to a minimum.  Others
say the little guys need natural light but little artificial light.  More
say the reverse.

I'm confused.  What is the best lighting for ferrets to be exposed to?
Surely they need some natural light, don't they?  We place our two guys
near a south facing window (no direct sun) during the day and move them
into another room at night, primarily for ease of cage cleaning.

Are we doing them harm by exposing them to the natural southern light?  One
of them we know has some adrenal problems and an enlarged spleen, and will
be going into an operation not too far off.  The other, a female sable, is
letter perfect in every way.  Both have been together since we brought them
into the house.

I think every one would like to hear a definitive statement regarding
optimal light for ferrets.  Can anyone help?

Al Wiebe