From:
Date:
Sat, 21 Dec 1996 16:32:43 -0800
>From:    Patricia Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: AFA Show
>Frederick, MD is the city that the AFA is based so I had counted on a big
>event, I must say I was quite disappointed.  [...] hardly 50 to 60 people
>there TOTAL!

The AFA is spread over the whole world.  Not just in Frederick MD.  Only a
very small portion of the AFA goes to any shows and the fall show is the
"small" show.  There were over 350 spectators, at least 75 exhibitors
showing around 200 ferrets, 6 judges, AFA officers, dozens at vendor tables.

>I guess the AFA is not nearly as big an organization as I thought it was.

You were at a ferret show not at "the AFA".  Basically all US dog shows are
AKC shows though some like Westminster are huge and others in smaller towns
across the country are likewise much smaller.  Frederick is much smaller
than other cites with AFA shows like Washington DC (suburbs) and New York
City.  Even this smaller Harvest Ferret Expo is one of the larger shows of
the year though.

>I visited all the tables (didn't take long) and saw some neat ferret
>goodies, and hand-made stuff for them.

You should have actually stopped to talk to people.  It takes us all day to
get to all the vendors.  Some such as The Ferret Gallery (a shelter in
Pennsylvania that sells merchandise rather than ask for donations) alone
takes over half an hour if you haven't seen all of their stuff before.  We
find new things at their tables at every single show!

>I met a couple of other shelter operators who had tables, though I was
>hoping to meet many more, I guess the folks running shelters up there are
>far too busy helping ... fuzzies to spend their Saturday's attending shows.

All of the shelter/rescues in the area were at this particular show.  At
least 15 were represented in some manner.  We didn't bring any rescues there
because knew ahead of time that other shelters who were extremely overcrowed
were bringing along ferrets to be adopted and we wanted to give them a
chance at potential new owners.  Fran's Ferret Rescue placed ferrets; Just a
Business of Ferrets placed ferrets; and Shadyside Ferrets placed ferrets
that we know of.  Some of the more distant shelters don't bring their
shelter ferrets along but attend the shows to raise funds by selling
merchandise as a means of being self-sufficient.

>The center aisle seemed to be all filled with ferrets that were being
>judged, probably breeders I guess, the people were all busy brushing
>ferrets and talking among themselves so I didn't bother them.

Those were all the entries some and at least half were altered.  Most of the
exhibitors are not breeders but average pet owners.  Unlike dog shows where
only whole or unaltered animals are permitted to be shown, ferret shows are
open to all animals.  This is something we find extremely appealing about
ferret shows in that you can show your ferret even if you purchased it from
a pet store.  A pampered pet is a pampered pet; it doesn't matter where they
originated from.  Fran Wiles has shown some gorgeous animals which she
rescued.  Again you should have talked to more people.  Most of us go to
shows as much to see our friends as anything else.  Our favorite part of the
show is the big friendly meal afterwards.

>Honestly, I wasn't that taken with the judging going on at the end of the
>room, it is kinda boring to watch as they tell you *nothing* about what they
>are judging on.  They also were pretty rough in tossing the ferrets around
>while judging so I walked off before I said something to get me in trouble.

No ferrets were tossed about - we judges were NOT rough on the ferrets.  The
judges don't have to tell you what we are judging on, as its printed in the
AFA exhibitor guide which was available at the AFA booth in the front of the
room.  It is also printed in the front of the show catalog that if a person
has questions on how their particular ferret was judged they may ask the
judge about it during a break in the judging.  There are just too many
ferrets shown to turn a competition into a demonstration.  There are
seminars offered at many shows and a table was set up where people can learn
more about what the judges are looking for.  Sorry you missed that table.

>I also listened as the lady from the WarmFuzzy Ferret Rescue asked Bill
>Killian to explain why her little ferret was not able to win at the shows.
>I never did really 'get' the answer, but since it mattered little to me I
>just went about my business.

(from Bill) I'm sorry but I have a reputation for being the most open and
accessible of the judges at AFA and independant shows.  Its not considered
good form to talk to everybody about someone's ferret; we'll talk to
individuals specifically about their own ferret.  If I detect an
eavesdropper I talk later or move around.  Sort of like with other
professionals and confidentiality.  I can and will only tell you about your
particular ferret which I judged.

>I believe too much emphasis is placed on 'show quality' and 'points' and
>not enough on helping needy fuzzies out there that are living in poor
>conditions or without homes at all.

Maybe when you open yourself up to the whole ferret world you'll see that
there is a purpose for shows and for shelters.  Most of the AFA judges run
shelters and breed ferrets.  You really need to learn that the Ferret Fancy
(showing of ferrets) is an ally of Ferret Welfare.  LIFE, LOS and the AFA
are all very involved with ferret shows BECAUSE they help homeless ferrets.
They help the much larger group of ferrets that have homes but have owners
that want to learn more about their ferrets to give them the best care
possible.  Shelters are a very important part of helping ferrets but they
are only a small part.  There are tens of thousands of ferrets in homes for
each ferret in a shelter.  The fact that most of the AFA, independant and
LIFE judges run shelters should tell you something about our emphasis.

Ferrets will be bred and this is a good thing.  No-one would have ANY pet
ferrets if none were bred.  But hobby breeders that also are involved in the
organizations especially those that take the time and effort to attend
ferret shows are those that are trying to understand ferret genetics and use
that to breed the very best animals.  If it wasn't for hobby breeders then
we would only have the ranches that breed primarily for production.  It is
far better to have people who care about ferrets as pets doing the breeding
than people who are interested in how much money they can get for their
ferrets.  Show quality isn't just "pretty" ferrets.  Show quality is ferrets
with well defined muscles and solid proportional skeletons.  Show quality is
well cared for ferrets with good diet and grooming.  Cleanliness is far far
more important at an AFA show that any particlular color and pattern.  There
is no moral or ethical problem as you imply with your comments.

>From:    Patricia Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Response to AFA
>I always skip Mr. Killian's posts

Well Diane and Bill might teach you something if you open up your mind.  We
have access to a lot of information that could help YOU save ferrets.  We've
cared for many shelter ferrets as well as whole and altered ferrets.

>>We sent Trish's post to Sally Heber of the AFA.
>I am wondering 'why' you did this, since Sally Heber is an "unknown" to most
>of the current FML readers...

Sally Heber who is president of the largest ferret organization in the
United States and probably the world has asked us to keep an eye on the net
for her.  She doesn't subscribe to the Ferret List largely because she has
too many other things to do to read it everyday.  We and a few other AFA
members filter through this list, the Ferret Forum list, several regional
lists, and the newsgroups.  We do the same for other Ferret organizations
including LAFF and the Baltimore Ferret Club.  Even though Sally Heber is
not a subscriber to this list she is still important in the ferret world.
You say you talked to people but no-one we've asked remembers talking to
you.  I apologize to Sally and the readership for any hardship forwarding
part of her message caused them.

bill and diane killian