From:
Rachel Bray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 08:34:51 EST5EDT
Well, I just went through this about a week ago!

The apartment complex allowed pets but there was a security deposit and the
rent was an extra $30 a month.  So I looked at the manager and said "You're
going to charge me all that money for a 1 and 1/2 pound ferret that is
rarely out of her cage?" OK....so I fibbed a bit.  While I'm home, she's
out of her cage at all times.  But, you know....

Anyway, she thought about it for a second and said "You're right.  That's
pretty steep." and wrote her down as a "caged" pet so there was no security
deposit OR extra rent.

But, I went to one place earlier and they allowed everything BUT ferrets.
I was insulted.  She said "Ferrets smell and are very destructive." So I
said "People who are in my apartment now have no clue I have a ferret until
she runs in from the other room.  And as for destruction, I've seen dogs
be more destructive than a ferret.  And my ferret has never destroyed
ANYTHING." OK....so that was a small lie, too.  She discovered toilet paper
a couple months back when I forgot to shut the bathroom door.  Five rolls,
completely shredded....awful mess.  But, it wasn't the destruction of
something "important".  So then the woman sighed all exasperated like and
said "Well, can't you just give her away or something?" My mouth dropped
open in shock.  I just grabbed my keys from the table and walked out.
Wicked witch.  I couldn't believe it.

Anyway.....

That's how I got my ferret into an apartment.  I've also heard that places
that allow "cats only" usually let ferrets slip by, too.

Rachel Bray
The Ohio State University
Fees, Deposits and Disbursements