From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Oct 1996 18:34:15 -0400
I am finally catching up on old FMLs.

BIG, I could not get her address to work and this may be something she needs
for health reasons.  THANKS so much!!!!!

There are safe irregularities, and unsafe ones.  Your vet should be able to
tell the difference.

We are not vets but DO have a ferret with cardiomyopathy and ventricular
bigemini (sometimes trigemini): Meltdown.  Her disturbance IS a dangerous
one but for over 6 months has been well controlled by twice daily Digoxin
(0.05 mg/ mL) at 0.20 mL , and 1/8 of a tablet of Enacard given once a day.
(Now that she is stage four she also has Lasix.)

Ask your vet what TYPE of irregularity it is because cardiomyopathy is fatal
but can be greatly slowed with medication, stress-reduction and luck.  Most
likely you are NOT looking at a serious form since I have NEVER heard of a
vet taking cardiomyopathy lightly, but it pays to be sure.  Beisdes, you
will feel relieved (or learn something important).  Serious heart problems
sound very different from non-serious, I gather.  (In bad cases you also get
an x-ray and usually an ultrasound.)

Hope this helps.

BTW, Propranolol with Enacard also helped, but not as much.

Meltdown is the first ferret treated for this condition so it will be
useful for you to pass this note on to your vet.

Sukie