Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 7 Jul 1994 10:42:47 EDT
     Hi everyone. This post is directed, mainly, at our resident Doctors. I
realize that the subject of heart worm medication has been recently discussed,
but after talking to our vet about it we thought we had better write in and
ask if what she suggested is o.k. and, if not, what should we do...
     She told us that it isn't really a problem here (Kingston, On.), but that
we should get them on medication just in case...since ferrets are so small, if
they are infected it is even more serious than it is in dogs. She also told us
that ferrets are too small to get a good blood sample from (while conscious),
but we can just go ahead and start them on the medication, anyway.
     The medicine she gives ferrets is Ivermectin...one quarter of a chewy pill
per ferret (from a 6 pill pack). Now, this sounds to me like the exact same
medicine that we used to give my dog? I am worried that the medicine in one of
those chewy pills will not be evenly distributed throughout the pill and,
therefore, when i break off pieces to give to the fuzzies they may get too much
or too little (i seem to remember that this was the concern of Dr. Williams
about this, as posted awhile back...?).
      What should we do about this?
      So far, the ferrets have not been allowed outside so i'm sure they are
      o.k.
      Thanks,
      Norma-ann and Ross (humans), Molly Mae, Beckett, and Gerty (ferrets)
p.s. She did not mention Milbemycin...should we ask her for this?