Date:
Fri, 10 Apr 2009 11:21:40 -0700
Hello everyone,

I need some help with a few questions on treating our ferret with
glaucoma. If anyone has experience with this, I would appreciate the
information... feel free to email me directly. [or to the FML so we
can all learn! BIG]

To synopsize, our 6 year old ferret has had cataracts for years &
has subsequently developed glaucoma in one eye. Just came back from
appointment with veterinary opthomologist who says lens in affected eye
has actually dislodged & "fallen down" inside eye causing protein &
fluid accumulation. Options are surgery to remove eye or treatment with
drops to decrease intraocular pressure. At this point she (ferret) does
not seem to be bothered by it, but since this pressure can be
uncomfortable or even painful, we really think treatment is
appropriate.

Here's the problem:
Due to her age (& other issues too lengthy to discuss) we are really
uncomfortable with the stress of surgery. However, the vet has seen
bad reactions in cats due to systemic absorption of the drops used for
glaucoma, & since she is so small (under 2lbs) he is concerned about
using these meds. He is currently researching this problem, but with
the thousands of fuzzies known by the FML folks we figured someone out
there has some 1st-hand experience with this.

Here's the questions:
Has anyone treated their ferret(s) with medication for glaucoma & what
was the result (good or bad)? How big was the ferret? How old? Any
other health issues? Any adverse reactions? If so, what kind & how
severe?

Second, has anyone needed to have the surgery to remove an eye? How
much stress did it seem to cause? How old was the ferret? How quick (or
long) was recovery, & was it "complete"?

We will of course be discussing these options with her very knowedgable
ferret vet as well as the opthomologist, but any additional insight
will be helpful in making a good decision on treatment. We really
believe in the "happiness" factor, so we do not want to "torture" a
fuzzy who currently seems to be "gettiing a litttle old, but doing
just fine, thank you."

Thank you & "dooks" to all!

Lisa (& Effe)

P.S. - We already understand glaucoma as it pertains to humans, so we
only need info specific to ferrets.