From:
Richard Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jun 1996 13:33:00 MDT
Some more information about Ruby since my post this morning regarding the
onset of symptoms since her ear cleaning.

She was depressed, listless, and wouldn't eat or drink this morning, so I
took her back into original vet (the one who cleaned the ears).  This is
what we know so far: Ruby has a very enlarged spleen - evident upon
palpation.She is very dehydrated.  Her white cell count is elevated; we are
awaiting the results of a full blood profile this afternoon.  Temperature is
normal.  RX - subcutaneous fluids to rehydrate; a broad-spectrum antibiotic
(just to cover all bases).  See what blood profile and possibly a chest
x-ray reveal - go from there.

A historical note on Ruby: About 3 months ago, Ruby had surgery to remove a
mass just anterior to her shoulder, at the base of her neck. Biopsy of the
mass was inconclusive. She recovered from surgery well, has no lumps that we
can feel, and seemed to be feeling good and gaining weight up until the ear
cleaning episode.

The vet now thinks that perhaps she had an underlying condition that the
stress of the ear flushing exacerbated.  If the mass we removed was
cancerous or pre-cancerous, it might have metastisized to the spleen (a
common site).  The elevated white cell count would tend to support this
conclusion as well.

Does this make sense to the vets and other wise ferret-folk out there?  Why
would such a condition become so suddently evident as a result of ear
flushing?  Wouldn't we have seen a gradual decline prior to this?  (We
didn't - she was doing really well, and had gained weight since the
surgery).

Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appeciated.  My vet admits she
is baffled, and is proceeding by treating the symptoms at this point.  Thank
you - it's a relief to just have somewhere to turn for advice, a sympathetic
ear, etc.  Ruby is so special to us - our first shelter ferret.

Chris & Rick

"We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our
own, live within a fragile circle."  -  W. H. Hoegemeyer, DVM