From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 23:23:45 -0400
--- In Ferret-Health-list@y..., AFERRETVET@c... wrote:
>Hi XXXXXXX,
>Green urine may actually be a sign of a liver problem.  With his hair loss
>and now with green urine, I am concern he may have adrenal gland disease
>on the right side that has spread to his liver.  Other causes of liver
>problems are possible too.  I would start with bloodwork, urinalysis.
>Ultrasound may also be useful to look at his liver.  Since he is 10 years
>old, exploratory surgery would not be my first option.
>
>It will be interesting to see what shows up,
>Jerry Murray, DVM

Another possibility in cases of green urine is hemolytic anemia - I have
seen it occasionally in severe hemolytic anemias with urine bilirubins
through the roof.  Green urine can also be a sign of severe urinary tract
infection, possibly as a result of adrenal disease, prostatic disease,
and urine retention.

Unfortunately, my experience is that green urine is not a good sign, and
indicates serious disease.  I think that a CBC, chemistry, and urinalysis
are better performed sooner than later.

With kindest regards,
Bruce H. Williams, DVM, DACVP

Join the Ferret Health List at