From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Nov 2003 15:42:46 -0500
Black Sheep, the only people who know when it is time for a ferret to
be given a mercy shot (and most of our's have passed that way when it
was time) are the people who are right there and know the individual.

Ashling is certainly not at peak form: she is terminally ill.  BUT
despite her rapid muscle loss and bloating she PLAYS -- with ferrets
and with us.  She is still deferred to by the other ferrets.  She is
kept clean enough to suit anyone's standards, including her own, though
we help her a little on and off if she needs that.  She is full of
kisses, loves being a bed guest, still goes through their tubes, still
steals my socks, and still plays with bell mousies.

When she gets to the point where she has pain then we'll try meds
for that.  Why?  Because we know from experience that some terminal
ferrets get EXTRA good and happy time that way.  One thing we know from
experience is that when a ferret needs pain meds grogginess does not
occur.  Instead -- when the meds work -- the ferret gets extra good
time before the ferret finally indicates that she or he is ready to go.

Ferrets are like humans in relation to being to enjoy life despite
burdens.  A number of people here have pain, or handicaps, or both.
Many would be surprised just how much a person can cope with on that
score and still truly enjoy life.  The majority of ferrets we have known
over 21 years are the same way.  They are smart and they are flexible.
If one joy can't be experienced they will take pleasure from others.

Awwwwwww, Ashling just came up to me and gave me a great big kiss on each
foot.  She is such a sweetheart.  She came back and gave me another kiss
on each.  She knows they hurt.  Now she is off on house patrol.  Okay,
I;m back.  I had to help with her patrol.  It takes her longer but she
acts so proud when she does it.  She just found my socks and is taking
one.  Today is a very good day for her.  Yesterday she was sleepy but
very huggy and kissy.  She will have a good day, then one or two tired
ones.  Okay, I just got an ankle kiss.  I think that they can tell where
there is inflammation.  Okay, I'm back again.  She was acting like she
wanted to run, but the most she can manage now is a bit of trot so we
use the pantyhose sling because her front legs are stronger than her rear
and then she can move fast with out help and that gets her so happy.

I guess maybe it is good that Steve let her out to the front so you can
get an idea of what is going on.  She's away now.  I suspect she has
settled in under the bed and is going back to sleep.  That's what she
does the most now, of course.

Okay, looking back I notice that before Steve let her out of the ferret
room I was talking about pain meds.  Another thing about pain meds is
that they are prescription so of course the ferret gets an assessment to
see if anything else might help.  Also, it is often possible to try the
meds there in the hospital and then see if there is enough of a response
to go that route instead of a mercy shot right away.  There isn't always.
In Ashling's case, though, if she starts bad pain pretty soon she is a
good candidate for getting some quality time by using that technique.  If
she starts bad pain after the malignancy has done more damage then pain
meds may be useless and a mercy shot called for right off.  The Lasix,
too,right now has the possibility of doing that for her: improved length
of quality time which will allow improved quantity of time before a percy
shot is needed.  We pretty much habitually try to give any chance we can
till the ferrets themselves give up.  In the past we've seen ferrets who
could be saved live and go on for years as a result, and we've seen ones
who were dying get to really enjoy their finally month and years.