From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 19:57:02 -0400
I'm catching up on FMLs after vacation, so don't know if others have
responded to the question of ferret poop protecting the garden from hungry
invaders.

I have had some success using used litter (wood stove pellets) as a mulch
to protect lilies, lettuce and newly sprouted beans from the rabbits that
live under our deck, in our wood pile, and in the brush piles in the
natural part of our yard (1 acre).

I put the litter around the edge of the deck to keep them from the lilies.
After losing several lilies last year, they were untouched this year.
In the vegetable garden, I put it around the margins of the garden and
between the sections.  After losing the first crop of lettuce when I
didn't do it, they have left it alone.

Fresh litter needs to be added periodically, and after heavy rains.

Linda Iroff
Oberlin OH