Date:
Sun, 24 Jun 2001 19:28:38 EDT
Hello everyone,

I want to thank Modern Ferret Magazine for supporting our efforts here in
California.  In issue 32, Modern Ferret Magazine has included our Wanted
Poster for their readers for the second time!  For those of you who don't
publish a magazine, that means giving up valuable advertising space in
order to help protect up to 500,000 ferrets living underground in fear of
confiscation and possible euthanasia.  Mary and Eric have again donated
this space in spite of a very tough year and that's not the end of the
story.  It's my understanding that Modern Ferret has sent Ferrets Anonymous
close to 50 issues each month for years.  The heartwarming stories,
articles on health and nutrition, domestication and other topics, have
helped to educated the public, lawmakers, and people working in the humane
field in a state where few have had the opportunity to meet one of these
darling little creatures.

Californians for Ferret Legalization was also given dozens of copies of
Modern Ferret over the years and most recently the very well-written and
touching story of Rocky and his owner, Sean, the autistic child, in issue
#29.  If you haven't seen this edition, it is one of the most poignant
stories of the human/animal bond that I've ever read.  Copies of this
edition are being sent to each of the members of the Water, Parks and
Wildlife Committee.  I don't know how anyone can read this story and not
acknowledge the true nature of the ferret as a domesticated companion
animal.  CFL and Ferrets Anonymous contact information has also appeared
in most editions of Modern Ferret magazine which is essential to those new
to the ferret issue and unsure how to become involved to whom to contact.
It's also invaluable information to anyone moving here from out of state
with questions or concerns.

Modern Ferret Magazine has been there for Californians each and every year
of this very, very long battle.  On behalf of all Californians, I want to
extend the most heartfelt thank you to both Mary and Eric for their
support.  I know what it means to donate time and effort to a cause---and
to try to keep a small business afloat at the same time!  Believe me, it's
a real sacrifice and I hope all of you appreciate the contribution of Mary,
Eric, and Modern Ferret to our success because all of us, not just
Californians, owe them a debt of gratitude.

I also want to thank Fancy Publications for their inclusion of our Wanted
Poster in the July/August issue of Ferrets Magazine.  Again, this space was
donated for a second time and is very much appreciated.  Ferrets has a new
and old editor this year-- June Kikuchi, who was the editor when Ferrets
was launched so many years ago.  Welcome back, June!

In the current edition of Ferrets, California readers can find the name of
their State Assemblymember, the area that he/she represents, his/her past
ferret voting history and how to contact these representatives.  There is
also information on how to contact Californians for Ferret Legalization as
well as how to use our webpage to locate important information specific to
the user on our Know Your Local Represenative page.

Not only can any Californian can use this edition to become fully involved
with the effort here, those from out of state with family in California
can easily find the name and contact information of their family's
representative for them.  The exposure and information is this article
invaluable.  Thank you June and the publishers of Ferrets!

We have many people and organizations helping our fight to change the law
in California, and all of them deserve praise for lending a hand to our
efforts.  This is by no means an exhaustive thank you list, but I wanted to
take a moment to highlight both Mary and Eric of Modern Ferret, and Fancy
Publications.  Our Wanted Poster, and therefore our fight to decriminalize
ferret ownership in California, is receiving terrific distribution and
exposure in California because of them.

On behalf of all Californians and the following organizations, you have our
gratitude.

Ferrets Anonymous, Golden State Ferret Society, LOS California, Capitol
City Ferret Club, California Domestic Ferret Association.

Jeanne Carley
Californians for Ferret Legalization
410 Mountain Home Rd.
Woodside, CA 94062