From:
"marie i. schatz" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Dec 1996 17:50:06 -0500
I was at our local humane society today to put up a little card/flyer with
my and another ferret owners name on it for ferret owner education and
ferret rescue referral.  The woman out there told me that the animal control
officer had told them that Michigan State University had euthenized and
tested a ferret and it turned up positive.  Don't know any of the
circumstances or even if its true.  He told them that any strays would have
to be killed and sent in for testing.  Tracy?  Anyone in Michigan hear about
this?

I am trying to figure out what the "chain of command" is for animal control
and what, or who's policy they are following.  Or is it up to the individual
counties?  The woman at the shelter's didn't seem to know.  Only that the
animal (stray) "belongs" to animal control till signed over to them and that
animal control officers are deputized sherrifs.  It would seem uh... stupid
if animal control can set policy based on what they've heard; grapevine,
rumor etc.  I'll be home Friday and see if I can track down a number at
Michigan State to find out for sure.

Mary, Boris and Giesela (who's winter chubbiness has made Mom so HAPPY!)