From:
dookdancer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 May 2005 09:20:10 -0600
Hi Kristina!  Yep the food debate rages on!  I think we'd ALL like to
feed our babies as best as possible.

This is a link to a great reference page..  although Innova EVO for cats
isnt even ON here yet... and would that we could GET Wysong here in
Canada!

http://www.ferret-universe.com/care/food.asp#wysong1

Just a quick note on "fish"..... my furry terrorists share a can of
sardines in spring water twice a week as a treat, and have experienced
freshly caught raw salmon and absolutely adore it.  Its not that the
FERRETS dont like fish... its the humans with their exceptionally
sensitive noses poked right down in the litter boxes that object LOL

For the record... I have four doing amazingly well on a half and half
blend of 8-1 Ultimate Ferret Food and Natura's Innova Evo Feline....
coats are amazing..  energy levels are incredible... and I would have
to say that probably Evo for DOGS is a small part of their diet as
they snag pieces from the dog's dish as they go by occasionally.
(interestingly enough ... I had a small bag of Totally Ferret that a
ferret I was babysitting was using... I tried to feed it to mine..
they wont touch it now)

For those who would like to bash me for feeding catfood, or Kristina for
considering it... just let it be said that an open mind does wonders...
and when the magic first ingredients on a label are MEAT based..  not
meal..  not byproducts, and the food containsNO GRAINS (potato used as
the binder) and is high protein LOW CARB... the stats speak for
themselves!  A picture of a ferret on a bag of food does not necessarily
MEAN its a GOOD ferret food!

When I first got ferrets, the "experts" in my life insisted that Totally
Ferret was the best food out there... in spite of evidence RIGHT ON THE
LABEL to the contrary!!  In my very humble PERSONAL experience and
opinion, it would be one of the LAST foods I would ever feed my guys now!
(and yes..  I've actually run the mousesickle (frozen mice thawed and
fed) and raw chicken..  bones and all gamut now..  decided it was too
yucky for ME... not for THEM)

We have to realize we feed kibble as a convenience to US... ferrets LIKE
raw meat and bones and mice folks .... take a look at their little
obligate carnivore teeth, but if we MUST feed kibble, we should ALL keep
an open mind... and READ LABELS!!!  READ LABELS!!  READ LABELS!!  (Cant
stress this enough!!)

Again... if you want a good breakdown on what "label reading" should
entail... get a copy of "Food Pets Die For" .... the gal that wrote it is
a wee bit over the top on occasion, but it contains infinitely valuable
information for decision making regarding the feeding of your furkids!!

I'm sold on 8-1 ULTIMATE ferret food and Natura's Innova Evo Cat and
Kitten... the evidence is in the wardancing and healthy little guys!!

DookDancer and the Ferret Collective
"Resistance is Futile"
Barnum and Bailey, Finnegan and Cliodhna