From:
Ilena Ayala <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 08:19:52 -0400
Mary Reeves (Shadra) wrote:
>Please, everyone, with the heat wave that is going on, please have a backup
>plan in place in case something happens.  I'm not sure if there is an alarm
>that will sound if the temperature rises above a certain temperature, but
>if there is, please get something like that for your babies.  Or if your
>babies are kept in a seperate room, make sure you have something that will
>let you know if a breaker is thrown.

Yes, there are such devices; they are designed for monitoring computer
rooms.  They aren't cheap, but if you live in an area you consider to be
high risk, you might want to check them out.  There are three basic alert
conditions; high temperature, power outage, or a fire alarm.

MIS Associates (800-445-8296 http://www.datacover.com ) sells "Sensaphones"
that will make phone calls (up to four for the cheapest model) and play
prerecorded messages under 'alert' circumstances.  The cheapest one is
$395.  You can call in from another phone (i.e., from work) to check as
well.  They sell water alarms as well (flood alert), not sure if those can
work with the low end devices though.  It's not clear from the web site
whether you need to purchase a temperature sensor ($40) seperately or not
with one of the phones.

BTW, if you are considering one, contact your insurance company to see if
they would give you a discount if you do!

I haven't used them, just know about them.

Mary, I'm so sorry to hear about this awful tragedy.  I can only hope that
this information helps prevent one elsewhere.

-Ilena Ayala