From:
Cindy Michou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 15:42:12 -0800
The worst bite I ever got was when I was trying to extract a piece of
cord from my ferret's throat.  Sandy was my first ferret and we were
still learning about ferret proofing.  My son had come home from school
and dropped his backpack on the floor.  The zipper pulls were made of a
woven cord and Sandy decided to chew on them.  I heard him making funny
noises and rushed to see what was going on.  I immediately scruffed him
and pulled a piece of cord out of his mouth and then saw another piece
that was further back in his mouth.  I know, I probably shouldn't have,
but we're 40 mins.  form the nearest emergency vet at that time of night.
(Why do they always do this after regular hours?  That could be the
subject of a whole different post!) I didn't even think, I just reached
in with thumb and forefinger and grabbed it before it went down his
throat.  He wasn't a happy camper and clamped down on my fingers and
wouldn't let go.  (Who could blame him!) I held him in the scruff and
talked calmly to him and he finally let go after the second chomp.  I
had blood running down my hand, and he bit to the bone once, but I had
the piece of cord.  Fortunately it was only the teeth on the right side
of his mouth and not all of them.  I had two deep punctures on the finger
and two on the thumb.  We both recovered after some hugs and cuddles,
and life when on only with no backpacks allowed on the floor.  (And yes,
I did recover all the pieces of cord, gave him some ferret lax just in
case!)

Hugs and Dooks,
Cindy with Bear, Dusty, Mischief, and Misty
Hiland Ferrets