From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Nov 2005 11:56:04 -0500
Among rescued dogs this problem affects the majority (approximations go
as high as 80%) of the rescues, according to the ASPCA.

THE ASPCA WRITES THAT IT IS SEEING WHAT MAY BE ABOUT 80% INFECTION RATE
IN THE RESCUED DOGS.

BEGIN QUOTE
>KATRINA UPDATE: HEARTWORM TREATMENT PROGRAM & ASSESSMENT TEAM
>ESTABLISHED
> - The ASPCA, HSUS, the American Animal Hospital Association, the
> Humane Society of Greater Miami and Adopt-a-Pet have come together to
> to establish a heartworm treatment program to help the animal victims
> of Katrina -- as many of 80 percent of whom are estimated to be
> infected with the parasites.
> The program was developed with initial funding by the Humane Society
> of Greater Miami and Adopt-a-Pet, which donated $40,000 to help
> animals affected by the disaster. The ASPCA and HSUS have pledged
> to match or better the donation. For complete details on the program,
> please visit ASPCA online.
>
> - Last week the Louisiana SPCA announced the formation of a
> multi-agency assessment team that will evaluate the state of animals
> in New Orleans post-Katrina...
END QUOTE

See:

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=hurricane_home
for details.

EXCELLENT INFO ON HEARTWORM IN FERRETS CAN BE FOUND AT:
http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc

esp

http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/heartworm.htm
written by Dr. Kemmerer-Cottrell who is very much an expert on this and
in the FHL Archives (See addy in my signature.)

-- Sukie (not a vet)
Ferret Health List co-moderator
FHL Archives fan
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/