From:
Ellen Van Landingham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 13:53:27 -0700
We have three Terriers, one Sighthound, and a varying population of
ferrets.  In my experience, it's entirely possible to have both ferrets
and dogs -- but it's much easier if you have the ferrets first.

All three of our Terriers were raised with ferrets from puppyhood.  It
goes without saying that they love to chase ferrets, but they were taught
early on to abide by Ferret Rules, which means that the ferrets get to
chase them back.  All of our dogs understand that the ferrets are part of
the family; they would no more think of hurting a ferret than they would
of biting me or my husband or a human visitor to our home.  Because of the
strength of their jaws, we do not allow them to pick ferrets up (although
one of our dogs is fond of dragging them around by those convenient
handles at the rear).  They always play together under human supervision,
but in eight years of having ferrets and dogs together, the only blood
has been drawn by the ferrets.  Our dogs think ferrets are the greatest
toys ever invented, and the feeling seems to be entirely mutual.

Our Sighthound, who has a pretty strong prey drive, came to us as an
adult.  She knows that little critters that live in our house are NOT
prey, but not having been raised with them she's the only one of our dogs
who won't play with ferrets.  In fact, she avoids them at all costs --
it's as though she doesn't trust herself not to eat them if she chases
one.  To avoid testing her self-control, we don't let the ferrets loose
in the same room with her.  When I'm carrying a ferret around, she
voluntarily retires to her bed or leaves the room altogether.

How well a particular dog will get along with a particular ferret depends
on their individual temperaments.  Over the years we've had a few ferrets
(all rescued as adults) who didn't enjoy the company of dogs.  We just
made sure that they had a dog-free place to play.

Hope this helps,

ellen
--
mailto:[log in to unmask]