Date:
Sun, 27 Jul 1997 13:11:54 -0400
In this time of fear when any one of our fuzzies could be carted off like
some kind of Orwellian society, the most important thing that we NEED to do
is change the way we think; to not accept things the way they are!

Instead of rationalizing the vivisection of ferrets by saying "Oh well,
Marshall Farms is just going to kill them any way", we need to change the
general structure.

Horses, cows, and pigs have unknown shedding periods.  Rather than
automatically decapitating them whenever they bite a human, there is a
little thing called a "quarantine period".  This helps to promote
unnecessary killings.

Accepting the kill-and-test policy, or the test on other ferrets (just not
my own) is a lazy and selfish way of loving ferrets.  Because of the HARD
work of many people several states have put into law quarantine periods for
ferrets whom have bitten (vaccinated or not).  New Hampshire is the prime
example.  There is 45 day mandatory quarantine period, in which after the
ferret is free to go home after being examined by a vet.  Dick Bossart was
part of a team that decided to change the rules, and WON!  To find out more
about his struggle and receive info on how to do it yourself contact him at:
1 Blair Rd, Merrimack, NH 03054, 603- 424-2941, 603-424,7767 (fax), or

This is not about "animal rights", this is about the double standards that
we humans have regarding animals (i.e. you can eat and test on any animals
you want, just none of mine!).

Regarding Marshall Farms; we need to change the way THEY think, or hit them
where it hurts (their wallets).  We as a community should let them know that
if they continue giving up these fuzzies for animal "research" then we will
lobby our local pet stores to find other more "humane" breeders.  Also,
those of us who claim to have rescues and shelters, need to start RESCUING
the ferrets that need it the most!  Namely the ferrets Marshall Farms kill
just because their done breeding them.

How many ferrets have been killed and tested for rabies?  How many have been
found to not be carry the disease?

-Ferret Haven