From:
"Rachel M. Bray" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 09:22:23 +0000
I recently got a box o' goodies from a friend of mine.  Inside were various
frames (I LOVE frames) and a small book by Edward Gorey titled The Doubtful
Guest.  I don't know if anyone has seen this one before but it was new to
me!  It's about a ferret!!!  Now, the critter he's drawn for the story is a
bit bigger than a ferret but....it still looks like one....kinda.  BUT,
it's the STORY that makes you realize that he's talking about a ferret.
It's an adorable book.  Of course, being Gorey, it's kinda strange but the
rhymes are great.  One of the best lines is:

"It was subject to fits of bewildering wrath.  During which it would hide
all the towels from the bath."

Is that a ferret or what?!  It was purchased at Barnes and Noble but I'm
sure, since it's Edward Gorey, any bookstore would probably have it or at
least be able to order it for you.  I highly recommend it.  It makes me
laugh every time I look through it.

Rachel ("Baaa-hahahahahahahahahahaha!")
Marmette (Ma, why is it when I do things like that fur beast in
                the book you don't laugh?  And I want tennis shoes
                like his!)

Rachel Bray
The Ohio State University
Treasurer's Office

Never argue with an idiot.  They drag you down to their level then beat
you with their experience.