Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 2003 18:14:33 -0500
HI folks-

If it seesm I have been a bit quiet-- I am still keeping very busy!  Just
to give you a quick update - it Seems not only do we have to deal with
the state ag dir wanting to make a Health cert violation a misdemeanor
crime with a $1,000 fine ( HB 72 proposed , up from a violation with fine
of $140 first time) now another group ( NH dog breeders) want non profit
shelters shelters which are currently exempt from having to issue health
certs -- to be required to under the guise of consumer protection.  Now
that only adds another $20 and another visit to the vet ( they are only
good for 14 days after issue) so of course you would be trying to
sandwich HC issuances's into adoptions etc.  This will essentially raise
operating costs here by $600-$1,000 per year sigh..

With current ADV testing, Cd, & rabies vaccinations I can't see how we
can continue to raise more funds for additional processing .  SO - I am
FIGHTING this intended bill big time!!  Please think of me Weds at 1:30
pm.  I am out there fighting for all small rescues, ferret, cat etc in NH
who cannot squeeze another dime out for the sake of political paperwork!

Stephanie of FSF will also join me in opposing the bill at the public
hearing- she is now contacting a small cat rescue to see if they want to
chime in.

It is sought ( this new act) by the NH breeders because they have to get
Hc's -- geesh they are peddling breed capable animals!

Shelters have paid to spay/neuter and we do carte blanche meds too!  I
cannot fathom why they think it is a consumer protection issue -- folks
are getting a used ferret with plenty of medical / veterinary perks
complete , not a new improved one which needs all the work done?

Hoping for a good report!

ALicia,
shelter volunteer at Ferret Wise