From:
Rebecca Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2006 11:15:03 EDT
Hi Becky,
No, it's not funny when you have deaf ferrets that just do not understand
it's night.  We had that problem with both Ping and Pong.  Oddly enough,
we've never experienced this with hearing ferrets, (although we've also
not had deaf ferrets do it either).  Hmm.  Has anyone with deaf ferrets
ever noticed or seen this as well?  Is this a coincidence??  Anyway, it's
not funny, because they can really get into big trouble.  We kept ours in
a cage at night, and it still was dangerous.  They seemed to really carry
on, only for a very short bit, but much more intensely than during the
day.  We had on a few occasions, ferrets stuck on ramps, hammies, etc.
in our cage.  The situations were dangerous and a toe, foot, or life
could have been lost had they not been screaming and woke us up.  Like
you, I'd loose sleep because I'd not feel good about the situation and
better part of the first year of their life.  Then they matured and it no
longer happened.  I never even caught them awake after that.  So maybe
your kit will settle down.  You said that they are out a lot or free
roam?  Gosh, if so, exercising them more during the day or right before
bed would not help.  If I am wrong, you can try that.  I'd not worry
about the neighbors.  It's not really quite as loud as you think.  It's
alarming.  And you never ever get used to it.  But I really doubt that
you can hear it through the walls, or if so not much.  I did ask our
neighbors and it was never quite loud enough to wake them.

Anyway, I"m curious now as to if anyone else has experienced sleeping
problems with kits and especially deaf ferrets.  I'm interested
particularly in hearing from deaf individuals and audiologists (ahem,
Renee?) about any insight that they might have about this.