From:
"Ann D. Phillips" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Nov 1998 15:04:56 -0500
Viva la difference!

For those who are convinced that keeping ferrets outside is tatamount to
death and abandonment, may I suggest that you learn a bit more about ferret
husbandry in other places before condeming keeping ferrets outside.

Yes, its quite possible to neglect an outside ferret, no matter how
temperate the climate.  And while I admit I like having mine underfoot,
they'd probably be a lot happy and heathier with an outside run to hang
out in while we weren't enjoying each other's company.  I just don't live
in a place where I can do that year round or have room to build one.

The key things are that ferrets must be properly sheltered from the
elements, protected from escape, harm from other animals, and interacted
with as much as possible.

It may seem utterly foreign to some of us in the States that our pampered
little buddies can be kept outside and thrive, but you have to remember,
ferrets are perfectly suited to that kind of life.  In the winter they can
almost double their body weight and grow a wonderful, thick, insulating fur
coat.  I've seen some ferrets that were kept outside in the Bay Area, (A
real temperate region in Northern California) actual Permitted ferrets,
some years ago.  These guys had incredible lush coats in the winter.

In Australia, ferrets that live outdoors year round are exposed to heat
that would make me run for the air conditioner for my ferrets.  As long as
they have shade and air circulation they seem to do fine.  That is not a
liscence to keep your ferrets outside in warm weather, obviously those
ferrets have adapted - but its proof that they can adapt!

In a place like the UK where the weather is pretty temperate, keeping
ferrets outside in a well constructed hutch year round isn't that odd at
all.  I know there are a number of ferret keepers on this list from the
UK who do so, and take really good care of their ferrets.

It is just as possible IMHO, to neglect an indoor ferret as is an outdoor
one.  Its certainly more conveniant to not have to put your coat and shoes
on to go fill some food bowls, or play with your ferrets in your ferret
proofed kitchen rather then ferret proofed yard, but no worse for the
ferrets!

Ann