Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 19:48:11 EDT
The other night I had let the Ferrets out to play and my daughters left
their bedroom door open.  Which I figured was OK, because there isn't
anything that they can get into and hurt themselves.  Well, about two hours
later, I thought, "Gee, I haven't seen the Ferrets for quite a while."
Then out pops Yoshi and Arnold.  My two youngest Ferrets.  But wait, where
is Harley, my oldest and also very deaf Ferret.  So of course yelling for
him and shaking or squeaking snacks or toys doesn't work.  Stomping is
about the only thing to get his attention.  Well, I stomped, and look and
stomped, and looked for about three hours.  No, Harley.  Finally I start to
panic alittle.  I looked in everyroom under everything and in everything
that I could think of.  So, I decided to carefully turn the couch upside
down.  No Ferret underneath, now it's time to try to check inside of the
couch.  Well, as far as I could see nothing.  Believe it or not trying to
check in the couch was almost another two hours.  I was afraid to pull the
bottom off because there was really no signs of any holes into the couch.

So it's been around six hours or so since I last saw Harley.  Now the Tears
are flowing hard!  My Husband is at a friends house, so all I have is my
4 year old daughter to help me and my youngest Cat which is in LOVE with
Harley and usually sniffs him out whenever I ask where's Harley.  I called
my Husband a few times and finally left a message saying get home there is
an emergency.  Five minutes later, He shows up and sees that I'm crying.
Of course he doesn't know what to think because I'm crying and the couch
is upside down.  I felt like a little child and probably sounded like one.
You know, when a child is crying and trying to talk but the words can't
come out... Yep that was me.  hahaha

Finally he rips the bottom off the couch and proceeds to look everywhere
inside it.  No Ferret but we found my Tatting book. :o)  How it got there?
I haven't a clue.

Then he checks the girls room and says to me did you move the dresser out
and look under it?  I said, No, He is WAY to big to get under there.  I
seriously doubt that an almost five pound Ferret couldn't fit under there!
There is only about 1" of space.  We then realized that there is about 3"
of space to get behind it and then under it.  My Hubby pulls the dresser
out and there he is!  My big beautiful silver boy!  Fast asleep.  I swept
him up and didn't put him down for the rest of the night.

Of course Harley was looking at me like that NUT what the heck is she
crying about?!  Since that night, we keep all of the bedroom doors shut and
only let them play in the familyroom and diningroom.  We are also planning
on buying a wooden frame futon for the familyroom and getting rid of our
couch.  I've tried the bell collars but the hearing Ferrets go nuts and
attack the bells on each other's collars until I take them off.  So, I
tried it on just Harley, well, the Yoshi and Arnold then attack Harley's
bell.  So, I gave up on that idea!  I'm just so happy that we found him
and he's fine.  Something like that really makes you think!

May wishes to ALL the Fuzzies out there!

Toni D.
Harley, Yoshi and Arnold