From:
River City Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jun 2006 11:24:47 -0500
- how many of you, had no close pets as children, but later in life
became animal and ferret people?
- how many of you, had a couple of standard pets such as dogs or cats
as children?
- how many of you had close contact with more unusual species of
animals as children?

I guess I fit question #2.  I believe I am an animal lover because it is
in my blood.  My grandfather adored animals, and even had "pet" squirrels
that he would feed every day.  When he died a couple of years ago, we
even found some photos of squirrels.  :) This love was passed on to my
dad, who currently rents a place that does not allow pets, but he gets by
by feeding "his" raccoons every night.  (And he won't listen to me when I
try to educate him about health risks associated with coons.) Last time
my dad came to visit me, he giggled like a kid while playing with the
ferrets.  My mom loves animals too, but she is now married to a man who
couldn't care less if he didn't have a pet in his life.  They currently
have a cat.  My mom asks about our pets, and loves to snuggle our dogs
when she visits.  She grew up with dogs, and the family used to own a
farm.

As a kid I always wanted a cat.  I was fascinated with them, but terribly
allergic.  We had goldfish a few times, but they always died before long.
When I was 9 we got a cocker spaniel puppy.  When I was in high school
our first dog died, and we got another puppy.  A year later my parents
adopted said puppy's mother, but I moved out soon afterward.

When I was in college, and met my now-husband, he had a gecko.  His
parents had dachshunds, and their dogs had a couple of litters during the
time hubby and I were dating.  So I guess you could say he came from an
animal-loving home as well.

Years later hubby and I started acquiring pets of our own.  Due to
apartment living, we had various lizards, a frog, and hedgehogs.  I
always wanted something more interactive and furry, so hubby suggested I
get a ferret.  Luckily for me, he had researched them.  We got our first
two ferrets (had to have two, so they don't get lonely, lol) on impulse.
Shortly after that I started my current job at an animal hospital, which
allowed me to learn more about ferret care.

When we bought our own home 5 yrs. ago, I was excited to be able to get
a dog, and have a full room for the ferrets.  I do rescue now, so the
ferrets need their own room, lol.  We now have 3 dogs.  I guess I don't
do anything small and simple. ;)

~Leah~