From:
"Steve & Suki Crandall" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Oct 1991 18:55:38 -0400
    Hi.  It has taken a while to get used to Frit being gone  and
also to get the final autopsy results.  (I still have not cleaned
out her last batch of antibiotics in the  fridge  --  just  can't
bring  myself to do it yet.)  She did have both lymphosarcoma and
insulinoma.
    Having her survive for 21 weeks and actually maintain  weight
and  hydration  was  a  real miracle; she was just over 6 years 8
months when we lost her.

    Between the insulinoma tumor in her pancreas and  the  lympho
attacking her liver she finally went into insulin shock that even
35 cc of injected dextrose solution could not stop.  Although  it
was  possible  that  a  more concentrated large injection may has
brought the bout under control she had  at  that  point  been  in
shock  with  seizures 3 times in less than 1 1/2 days and we were
having to supply sugars every 45 minutes round  the  clock.   The
relief  would  have  been  very short lived, and later we learned
that her liver was so damaged that she  was  not  going  to  live
maybe  even  a  few hours or a day more.  She was lucky; when she
went down hill she did so  very  rapidly  so  her  suffering  was
minimal.  We helped her out of her pain -- the vet first gave her
a strong tranquilizer/ pain killer and then a mercy shot.
    Frit gave a lot to other ferrets by hanging on so well.   She
tested  a  chemotherapy that had only been used on one other fer-
ret, made it necessary that special  food  combinations  high  in
protein,  fat,  other nutrients, and binding starches be created,
etc.  We know that she improved the chances for other ferrets.
    Steve and I feel very grateful to our vet,  Chris  Newman  of
Hillsborough,  the  vets  who aided with information (Quesenberry
and Hoefer at Animal Medical Center in N.Y.,  an  AMC  oncologist
whose name we do not know, Hillyer of Rutherford -- previously of
AMC, and Fox of MIT), vet Susan Laevy of Basking Ridge who  saved
Fritter  from  congestive  heart  failure, the makers of Nutrical
which was absolutely essential in keeping  Frit  alive  and  well
nourished,  and  to our many net friends who helped us with kind-
ness, understanding, and information on wholesale supply  houses.
(The  pet section of our budget book shows over $1,200 spent this
year, and that was with breaks given on Frit's care  because  the
vets  were learning so much.  Nancy's info on J&R was very useful
in keeping costs in line.)
    It was hard, but it was worth it.  Most people  can  not  ar-
range  their  schedules  to allow for constant 24 hour care so we
were lucky that way, but if anyone else can do  that,  or  has  a
ferret with another condition which requires special care such as
regular injections, please, have faith in your abilities to cope.
    Now that we have a clean bill of health for Aleutians we have
a new member in our family.  'Chopper is a spotted, spayed female
who climbs anything. (Yes, she was named for the ability  to  get
anywhere  like  helicopter  does.)   Daleks is her favorite game;
when she is under the basin she runs blind at full tilt till  she
bashes into something.  This is a game for intelligent species --
ferrets enjoy it and the chimps I knew liked doing it with  paper
bags.
    I wish we could give a secret formula for longevity  in  fer-
rets.   The  person  we  know who has an 8 and a 9 year old (both
convenience) does NOTHING special so I suspect that  genetics  is
probably  one of the biggest factors (Boy, do I wish she knew who
bred her's.) and would really like to see sperm exchanges  (simi-
lar  to  what zoos do to keep species at their best in case there
winds up being  habitat  to  restore  the  critters  to)  between
breeders around the world.  Any closed gene pool is dangerous, it
doesn't matter where it is, or what species is involved.
    None of our's have had longer than normal life spans.
    Two lived here temporarily and we lost track of them.
    Tandi (convenience female) died when she  was  only  about  8
months  old  because  she  got a virus that can be passed in bird
droppings which destroyed her intestines.
    Haleakala (whole female spayed  after  being  retired  as  an
adult  breeder) died at something between a good 7 to 9 years old
from Shogren's (?) Syndrome, an autoimmune disorder which  starts
as  Dry  Mouth  Dry  Eye Syndrome but can get worse so that mucus
membranes (in Hale's case her colon) abscess uncontrollably.   It
is  rare  enough  in anyone except blond, blue eyed human females
that we probably would not have known what it was or been able to
control it as well as we did if she did not have a veterinary op-
thalmologist (because a male punctured one eyeball during  mating
before  we  got her) who had been a human one before he got tired
of people and earned his DVM.
    You know about Fritter  --  convenience  female,  6  years  8
months and a few days -- lymphosarcoma and insulinoma.
    Hjalmar is now over 6 years and going  strong.   He  is  also
convenience.
    Meltdown is a bit over 3 years and really enjoying her prime.
She's convenience.
    Ruffle will very likely have a shorted life  span  than  most
since  she  has  intellectual  impairment  and  deformities which
prevent her from having normal range of motion.  One has to real-
ize  that there may be other problems which are hidden.  She is a
convenience female, now past 1 1/2 years.
    'Chopper is only about 3 months.  Yes, she is convenience.
    We were sorry to hear about Cooper.  We know how it feels.
    Our usual places for contributions  for  ferrets  are  health
places like AMC and Morris Animal Foundation.  Others apply money
well to shelters for ferrets.  I have to apologize to the  person
who  wanted  to  make  a contribution in Frit's memory, but I was
still so blown out from losing her that I honestly can't even re-
call  who  said  that even though it was very comforting and felt
good to know how Frit had touched others.  Anything  anyone  does
to  make  this  world  a better place, and to help rug weasels is
more than fine.
   Love to all,    --Sukie, Steve, Hjalmar, Meltdown, Ruffle, and
'Chopper