From:
Michelle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 1999 20:42:06 -0500
Okay, I have been reading about this money thing and biting my tongue
for several days now and I think it's about time I spoke!!

****IN MY OWN OPINION****      ****IN MY OWN OPINION****
I am trying to figure out what the hell being rich or poor has to do with
having the ability to give a ferret(s) a good, kind, and loving home????  I
AM ONE OF THE POOR!!!!!  PERIOD!!!!  My hubby only makes an average income
and supports me, our daughter, and oodles of ferrets!!  We are currently
owned by 9 of the most wonderful fuzz butts that walk this world!!  This
is a fact!  I love these little guys!!!!!!!

Three months ago I decided to do my little part in helping out ferrets.  So
I decided to start my own ferret shelter and rescue right out of my home
and in the last three months through word of mouth and the internet I have
made 10 rescues.  I don't have a lot of money and if people decided that
only the well-off or rich would be allowed to own ferrets then I guess
there would be 19 more ferrets (the 19 I have had so far counting mine)
left in some ferret shelter somewhere right??  There would also be a
million more ferrets in this world left without homes too.  I would then
think that the ferret shelters across the world would be so over run with
the poorer peoples ferrets that the shelters would end up having no choice
then, but to put them down by the hundreds!!!!  Is this what you would
want?  I don't think money has a damn thing to do with loving and caring
for ferrets!!

I love ferrets very much and if you came to my home and told me that I
would have to give up all my ferrets to you because I wasn't cut out to
have them because of my bank balance....I would probably eat the eyeballs
right out of your head!!  These are my "kids" and nobody will ever tell
me what I am financially able to have in my home or what I am financially
capable of loving!!!!!!!  GOT IT!!!

I feed all my ferrets a mixture of Totally Ferret and Eukanuba Kitten
Chicken & Rice food.  What do you feed yours???  I also buy the Yesterdays
News Litter for all of my ferrets which is a total of about $40 a week for
the 3 bags I go through.  This doesn't even include their food all month or
any of the extras!!  I get them what they need because I keep my ass on a
budget.  Can I afford it??  No I sure can't, but I do it anyway by choice!
My 10 yr.  old daughter still gets her bell bottom pants and other fancy
stuff.  She also gets her Nikes and Skechers shoes.  I also have an
electric bill that goes from a mere $60 a month in the winter to $300 a
month during the summer because I have to run two window air conditioners
around the clock all summer for the fuzzies since I don't have any central
air here!  I don't bitch nor complain about these financial expenses
because I do it because I want too not because I have to.  Sure my electric
bill gets behind in the summer, but who cares!  It does get paid eventually
and I think it is a small price to pay for having a house full of wild,
crazy, dooking, war dancing fuzzies around!  I am sure that all the other
poor people out there with animals probably try to make sacrifices for
them to.

I think that people both rich and poor can either be the kind of
person who hates, kills, abuses, or tortures the animals or the kind of
person who loves, needs, wants, and cares for the animals.  It has to do
with the individual person and how they behave and think not the money they
have!  It works both ways period!  Being rich or poor has nothing to do
with anything.  The rich as well as the poor have mental problems, are in
prison, eat people like Dalmer did, mistreat animals, and molest kids (just
a few examples)....and they all do it just the same way!  What I am getting
at is that a rich person can love or hate just as well as a poor person
can.  Whoever said that shit about the well-off or rich being the only ones
able to own, love, or care for animals and that the poor should not and can
not financially do it should be>>>>>>>> *SMACKED*........................
*SMACKED RIGHT IN THE TEETH*

I have a vet that lets me "owe" him some of the money later!  Even if the
vet wouldn't play along I would still get the money needed for the ferrets.
I do not have the money to do the things I would love whenever I want to do
them.  However, If I save some money back every week (like I do) I am then
able to do the things that we as a family want to do.  I love my ferrets
and I am sure that everyone else on the FML, FFML, and Ferret NG's probably
love their ferrets too.  However, I don't care if you are rich or poor.....
I will still talk to you and be your friend either way because it just
doesn't matter to me.  I will place a rescue ferret in a poor home that
shows lots of love just as I will place them in a rich home that shows lots
of love.  There really is no difference.  I have met several rich people as
well as poor or average people.  I have seen a rich couple treat their kids
like shit and treat their animals like "gold" and vice versa.  Animal abuse
and any form of mistreatment can come from all walks of life so WAKE UP!!
This is the REAL WORLD!  I will end this by saying that I feel that the way
an animal is cared for and loved has nothing at all to do with finances and
has everything to do with the way a person is!!  I can love and take care
of my animals and family poor or not....... can you??  & for the person
who has been spreading lies and rumors around about ferret shelters like
(Jean's shelter) and about the other people here>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>