From:
Gerri Himberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Nov 2008 03:49:46 -0800
Hi all.. Just a reminder, I am already using my 2009 ferret datebook to
plan ahead with appointments. Troy Lynn has more ready to go if anyone
is interested. They make a great gift and all proceeds go toward Ferret
Family Services. All you have to do is email [log in to unmask] .

Another reminder- with Thanksgiving so close- MY ferrets are obsessed
with an open oven, the hotter the better, apparently. Since they are
mostly free roam, this presents a challenge. Since they are not
turkeys, they do not belong in the oven, a concept they do not grasp
readily. Little paws will get burned faster than you can swat them
away, so I have decided it is better to have them elsewhere while I am
transfering things from the oven to the stove. They also do not need
to escort company in and out of the front door or help fold (unfold)
the laundry. They do not belong in the middle of pumpkin pies, licking
the same paws that three minutes ago were in the litterbox (aaaggghhh),
they do not belong in the bags from the grocery store "helping" me put
things away (marshmallows are not stored under the microwave)- the list
is endless. They do belong in my lap snuggled safe and sound (in your
dreams, lady) (no lap ferrets at my house).

Anyway, things change during the holidays, please be sure to keep
your furkids safe. Also, sadly, we had a situation here recently with
another dog/ferret incident in which the owner swore her dog never
would have hurt the ferrets, and we don't know what the trigger was, as
the owner was at work, and the dog and ferrets were loose together, and
for some reason the dog killed both of them. Please don't leave ferrets
out with dogs, especially if you know the dog IS predisposed to gaming
small animals already. No matter how much you trust the dog, it is
still a dog, with canine instinct. I don't blame the dog, but the
situation can be entirely avoided by not letting them out together.
Even if you think you are "supervising" them, usually that just means
you are home. It is a little more work to have separate times with
each, but then no one dies or goes to emergency.

Gerri