From:
Tracy Tunnison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Aug 1996 10:58:58 -0400
I just started reading my FML and didn't even get past the first posting.
Since I live in Michigan where there are lots of bats and I have heard of
rabies positive ones, I called Dr. Steven Halstead of the Mich.  Dept.  Of
Ag.  He confirmed for me that there has been AT LEAST five rabies positive
bats in Michigan this year ALONE!!!  If anyone thinks they are not at risk
from a bat bite, they better think twice (By the way, Michigan is also a
kill-and-test state for ferret bites and scratches, and not one single
positive from them).  Dr. Halstead said bats contract rabies and during the
next few days produce lots more of the virus in their system, including
blood and saliva.  During this time they are easily able to spread the
disease.  He also said there has been documented case(s) of spelunkers
contracting rabies from bat infested caves without direct contact with any
bats.  Dr. Halstead said I could quote him and if anyone had any questions,
they could call the Mich.  Dept. of Ag.  and ask to speak to Nancy Frank
(she is the one to handle these cases and was out of the office today, I
know Dr. Halstead from a ferret committee I was on with him so spoke to him
today).  The number there is (517)373-1077.

Please don't anyone flame me!  My father had to go through the post-rabies
exposure treatment due to a bat bite and it wasn't pleasant.  Personally, I
am vaccinated for rabies myself due to my line of work, but if I were bit by
a possibly rabies exposed animal, I would still have to have more
injections, just less of them than someone not vaccinated.

I'm going back to finish reading the FML, so I may post again later.

Tracy