From:
"S.Hewett" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Oct 2006 19:30:42 +0800
I absolutely respect the opinions of folk who cannot bring themselves
to feed pre-killed small whole prey such as mice and chicks. I used to
be there.

It was a huge step for me to take because I love all animals, have
hand-reared my own hens from eggs and had mice and rats as pets. I have
also had pet calves and, in my youth, a pet lamb called Leadbelly.

Nevertheless, I eat meat.

It was only by the support of a dear friend who showed me the benefits
to the ferrets that made me try to change my mind-set.

Ferrets thrive on small whole prey and it doesn't matter what I think.

Nowadays I can feed small whole prey knowing that they were humanely
kept and euthanised. This is probably more than I can say for the
animals that provided the meat that I eat myself or that is in
processed pet food.

At the moment, my greatest heroes are those who, despite being
vegetarians themselves, still feed their ferrets a suitable diet and
one lady who used to gag while cutting up chicken pieces, now feeds
small whole prey. What a huge step in trying to provide the best for
her ferrets!

I do not think any less of people who can't do it, nor do I think that
they are better than anyone else. I would hope that people who can't
bring themselves to feed whole prey have a similar outlook towards
those that can.

Shirley