From:
Chris Haas <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 1994 13:45:08 -0500
Hi,

I have a problem with this part of the Ferret FAQ that I just read..

> FERRET FAQ FOR NEW AND PROSPECTIVE OWNERS
> Compiled and edited by Pamela Greene ([log in to unmask])
> (version 1.1, 1/31/94)

> 4.7> Can I teach my ferret tricks?  How?

> [begin PG]
> One idea for getting your ferret's attention is to take away her food
> at night, then teach the trick first thing in the morning, using breakfast
> as a reward.  Don't take away the water, though; with their fast metabolisms,
> ferrets can get dehydrated quickly.

Taking away their food?!?  Ferrets, like mentioned above, have a fast
metabolisms, especially since they are so hyper and expend a lot of energy.
They usually eat as the desire, about every 3 hours.  Leaving food out
for them at all times is highly recommended, and food deprivation for the
sake of teaching your kids tricks, seems rather cruel.

I'm sorry if I'm attacking the person who wrote this, but I can just
foresee some new ferret owner reading this, and going, "Oh, ok, so
my ferrets only need food when I need food - maybe three times a day
or less."  If this info was taken the wrong way, or got into the wrong
hands, we could starve some poor little ferret out there somewhere.

Comments?

Chris.