From:
"HARRISON,REGINA,MS" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 May 1996 10:50:11 EDT
Hi all--
Just thought I'd share an observation on litterbox usage, or non-usage as
the case may be.  Amelia, who most of her life has been a free-range ferret,
has only been about 65% with using the box.  However, for the last two weeks
she's been caged alot of the time, what with being sick and recuperating.
Lo and behold, litterbox accuracy has gone way up, although she'll still
often go next to rather than in the box.  I put plastic placemats on the
floor under the box.  They're easy to clean and it's better than fighting a
losing, frustrating battle.  But the temporary cage restriction seemed to
jolt her memory about litterboxes.  I might also add that Cully, who spent
most of his four years in a cage (and I really mean _most_, he was
neglected), is about 96% with the box.  The only trouble spot with him is
behind the front door, where a box will naturally not fit.  I've added a
place mat there as well.  Anyway if a ferret seems to have forgotten what
the litterbox is for, a week of cage life might do the trick.

Regina
Amelia ("yeah, but I'm bored") and Cully ("Why wouldn't I use the box?")