From:
Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Sep 2005 09:26:08 EDT
Laura,

I ran a shelter for about eight years.  I took in in the neighborhood of
400 ferrets during that time.  Most of them were placed into wonderful
adoptive and/or foster homes.  A few ended up becoming "mine".  Let me
hand you a clue.  I wasn't a 501(c)3.

My husband and I paid for everything out of pocket.  Our adoption fees
were handed over to the vet to help cover the vet bills, which we
supplemented as well.  Sure, SOS, Metroferret, and other private
individuals would help us out with some food or litter every now and
then, and I didn't turn that help away.  (And I'm still forever grateful
to the ferret community at large for the overwhelming generosity they
showed during the Christmas Rescue.) But on the whole it was my income
that ran the shelter.

Your insinuation that I was not a good shelter because I never saw any
reason to get a 501(c)3 is a slap in the face.  How DARE you?  My strong
advice is that until you take the initiative to actually run a
shelter--as far as I can tell, you don't even volunteer at one--you stop
criticizing.

And for the record, I don't know Marguaritte (I don't even think I
spelled her name correctly).  I'm now pretty much retired from the ferret
community.  I live a quiet life in Florida with my two furry girlies.  I
help out where I can, FAA, donating to SOS and IFC, etc.  I got sick and
tired of ignorant people spewing crap out the sides of their mouths, and
decided I'd had enough.  No one said you have to send a donation.  If you
don't like the way Marguaritte is doing things, then either give her
CONSTRUCTIVE advice, or shut up.

Anne (Proud FML Member since August, 1995!)