From:
Dale Nupp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Dec 1999 21:06:31 -0500
Hello All:
I want to thank everyone who sent cards and notes concerning the death of
my Burt.  This was my first pet fuzzy to die and it affected me more than
I woud have expected.  I am quite sure he is now happy and healthy again
and dancing like a kit.

Because of Burt's illness I have been way behind on my FML's.  I just read
a recent post by Pat Stauffer concerning the Aleutians Disease "tragedy" in
Pennsylvania.  A subsequent post quesstioned why she posted to the FML at
all if it was a local thing that only involved a few people.  I think the
FML is an appropraite forum to discuss some of the things that have been
happening.

To provide full disclosure, I might point out tat I have never met and
would not know if I fell over Pat Stauffer, Pat Musick, Scarlett, Sharon
Lynn Cole or the heads of LIFE or the AFA.  I am however, a member of the
WarmFuzzy Ferret Club that sponsered that show for the benefit of the
WarmFuzzy Shelter (Clarence and Shirley Hertzog) last July.

The Hertzogs have been unfairly involved in a controversay concerning
Aleutians Disease since last August.  The Hertzogs did have possession of a
diseased ferret.  They did not know what the problem was.  The took it to
their vet who confirmed Aleutians disease.  The ferret died.  Upon learning
of the problem, they took several steps.  First, they had all ferrets in
their possession tested for the disease.  Second, they publicly announced
that they had a problem.  Third, they returned a number of other ferrets
that tested positive for the disease to the prior owner.  Since then, they
have been maligned, criticized, badmouthed and harassed throughout the
ferret community.  In my opinion, some people, for whatever reason, are out
to destroy their reputation, means of making a living, and the shelter they
operate.

Had the Hertzogs never said anything this would have all probably blown
over by now.  However, they wanted to act responsibly.  They had all of
their ferrets tested for Alutians Disease.  Subsequently, people have
criticized them for having them tested too early and that they should be
tested again.  The Hertzogs are not wealthy and simply cannot comply with
that request.  I am quite sure if people on the FML or those people who
are most concerned are willing to donate money, the Hertzogs would be more
than happy to have all fuzzies retested.  The previous testing cost about
$1,200 so get out your checkbooks.

The Hertzogs have been villified in the ferret community because of this
problem.  However, they were the first ones to make it public just to avoid
the panic and hysteria that has occurred.  They should not under any
circumstances be criticized becase they brought the problem to the public.

Last, they are being criticized because they returned the AD positive
ferrets to the original owner.  They really only had two choices, retuurn
them or kill them.  They felt they did not have the right to kill the
ferrets; that such a decision should be made by the original owner.
Shirley Hertzog made an agreement with the original owner to make sure they
were spayed or neutered and to not sell or give them to any unsuspecting
new owners.  If the owner is not complying with that request, the Hertzogs
should not be held accountable.  However, they are the ones who are bearing
the brunt of the hysteria.

Some people might ask why do I care?  Since this post is turning out to be
a long one, I will tell you why in a forthcoming post.

Dale
Odo, Baby, Chloe, Willy and Tugg
Missing Burt

[Moderator's note: Here's that second post, combined with the first.]

Hello Again:
Becasue of the hysteria Pat Stauffer has created, several things have
happened:

First, according to the most recent SOS list, one of the shelters that
is in close proximity to the Hertzogs shelter has closed it doors to new
animals.  While I personally think this is a silly response, I respect that
operator's right to do so.  Accordingly, there is one fewer fuzzy shelter.

Second, many people have cancelled their participation in our 02/05/00
show.  This may mean that the show itself will have to be cancelled.  As a
member of the sponsoring club, I am not inclined to do a lot of work if the
show will lose money.  That accomplishes nothing.  What is even more tragic
is that many people are staying away because of a problem that may not even
exist.  They will not have the opportunity to enjoy the company of the
ferret community, show their ferrets and buy things to support vendors and
other shelters and clubs.  I suggest that not having a show will hurt any
number of breeders, rescues and people who are just trying to make a
living.

Third, the Hertzogs have been asked to not participate in other shows.  If
they do, other vendors will not participate in those shows.  Not ony does
this hurt Clarence and Shirley Hertzog but others in the ferret community
as well.

Fourth, I have been advised that both LIFE and AFA judges have been
ordered not to attend and judge at our show even though our show is not
a sanctioned show.  Once again, from my perspective, this is a silly
response.

Fifth, rumors within the ferret community have been spreading for months.
A friend of mine in the California ferret community has sent me copies of
e-mail messages that have been circulating thoughout the Pennsylvania, New
Jersey and New York areas.  By and large, these e-mails have one overlying
thought and that is that Aleutians Disease is akin to the bubonic plague,
stay away from the Hertzogs or any people or fuzzies associated with them
or your ferrets may die.  Why on earth some of these e-mails are
circulating on the west coast is beyond me.

What we can do about all of this will be contained in my third post.

Dale
Odo, Baby, Chloe, Willy & Tugg
Missing Burt

[Moderator's note: And finally, following is the third post.  BIG]

Hello for the third and final time tonight:
The fundamental advice that has been circulating for months is that
Aleutians Disease is caused by a highly contagious virus and that it is a
killer so stay away.  Yes, viruses are contagious and can kill.  However,
that cleary is not always the case.  None of the Hertzogs other ferrets
have gotten sick or died in the past five months.  Many of the Clubs
ferrets, including several of mine, have been to the Hertzogs home and all
are healthy (except Burt whose body was filled with cancer)  Since we do
not absolutely know the root cause of adrenal disease, inslinoma and the
like, there is always the possibility that a virus could cause some of
these problems.  Should we just go ahead and kill all of our fuzzies now?
Should we never get together again?  From my perspective, that thinking
is bulls**t.  Heck even ECE has not killed every ferret that has been
infected.

Pat Stauffer writes:
>I just wish we knew more about ADV or that there was a way to find out.
>This whole thing is just so tragic.  I do not know what else I can do at
>this point.  Again I am open to suggestions.  Thanks again for all of your
>help.

My suggestion is that you have down enough damage to people and ferrets in
our community and you should end this witch hunt right now.  You should
stop spreading hysteria.  The death of one ferret hardly qualifies as a
tragedy.  You should try and support and work with the Hertzogs rather
than try and malign them.  Write out a check, adopt a couple of fuzzies
from their shelter and get them tested, join our club (if you are in
Pennsylvania) or get involved with another organization.

The ferret communiity, particularly those good people on the FML should
realize that one dead ferret is not a scourge.  Join us at our show near
Reading, Pennsylvania on February 5, 2000 and have a good time.

Dale
Odo, Baby, Chloe, Willy & Tugg
Missing Burt

[Moderator's note: OK, followups are fine, but they should be based on
fact please -- NOT PERSONAL ATTACKS!  BIG]