From:
"pml @hotmail.com" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Dec 1996 15:21:00 -0000
(I'm sorry this is such a long post, but I hope it can help some people who
had this similar problem.)

We finally solved the litter-box problem!  Thank goodness my mom has her BA
in art, because it gave her some creativity.  My dad may be a scientist, but
I don't think he could have even figured this out.

To start out, I followed everyone's directions of putting self-stick velcro
underneath the box and connecting the other piece to the linoleum of the
cage floor.  The only problem is, Pepita would go and with her hands, push
on the bottom of the litter box until she got it undone.  After it was free,
she would dump it all over.

Another problem with having the Velcro inside the cage is that it has the
possibility of getting dirtied when you take the litterbox out to get
cleaned, and then it will lose some of its strongness (pieces of food, etc.,
can get stuck).

We tried a lot of things, included brackets, but the thing that finally
worked is what my mom devised.  These are the instructions as best as I
remember, because she really wanted to be left alone while she wracked her
brain!

Need:

- Long strip of velcro (available at most stores...not self-stick, but
  sewing velcro that does not have anything on the back).  Separate the two
  halves, but do not cut.
- Two nuts and bolts
- Corner litter box (we used small)

To do:

You have to poke a hole in each back corner of the litter box...the height
depends on where the cage bars are.  I have NO idea how my mom did this.
Probably melted it or something.  Anyway, this is where you put the bolts
and nuts through.  Put one strip of velcro through the bolt, then put the
nuts on.  Do this on both sides, using opposite velcro textures (put a soft
one on one side, the comb-like on on the other).

Set the box in the cage, using the hooks already on the litter box.  Then
string the velcro through the cage bars, and hook it IN THE BACK.  There
will be a LOT of velcro, so hook ALL of it together, as tightly as
possible..  Since there is so much velcro, this should hold even when your
ferret gets really hyper.

Pepita used to always play with her litter box, but within a couple of days
after this new idea, she basically left it alone and realized it's not a
toy.  To give her something big she could still throw around, I gave her a
small Cat-Track (cat toy) -- only she actually gets inside of it!

I hope these instructions help you.  If you have any questions, please feel
free to e-mail me and ask.  My personal e-mail is [log in to unmask]